Use of Live ID profile data

Dec 18, 2008 at 12:00 PM
Hi David,

This is a great example. I was working on exactly the same stuff at the same time, and I'm sure this is true of others.
I've got as far as you with using Live ID on an Azure site. One thing I am planning to do, which you might be able to help with,
is using the live id contact data instead of collecting it.

One of the ideas of Live ID is that you shouldn't have to supply the same data again and again when logging on to sites.
Most sites would like to collect emails and other data from logged on users. The other Live ID sample in the SDK that you based this work on
permits the site to ask the user if he'll share this information. The sample just takes you to the point where you get a cookie saying you're entitled to the info, but doesn't describe the complicated process of getting the data, which doesn't seem to be too well documented.

It would be great if you could add this feature; so rather than supplying user data the system asks for permission to access live ID's copy of the contact data, and then parses the required items from it. I notice this is exactly what Azure does when you sign up.

Best wishes,

Andy Edmonds, http://www.scientio.com

Dec 18, 2008 at 12:06 PM
Oh, also another question - why didn't you use tables for storage? You've added a rather convoluted system for decoding and encoding entries in BLOBS.
Is there some problem with tables I'm not aware of?

Best wishes,

Andy Edmonds, http://www.scientio.com
Coordinator
Dec 29, 2008 at 12:31 AM
Hi Andy. You could indeed use tables to store the profile data as long as it remains a flat record. If you use BLOB storage, you're free to add hierarchy to your profile which is why I went in that direction. I'm not sure which area of the code you were referring to as convoluted, but if you meant the many storage classes I "got them for free" from one of the SDK storage sanples so its not like I had to write them. I agree there's a scary amount of code there and am presuming Microsoft will make a nice library out of it at some point.
Mar 21, 2009 at 10:06 AM
Edited Mar 21, 2009 at 12:48 PM
Thanks for this contribution!

Probably pretty straight forward, but I've managed to muck something up! The following shows the error I'm receiving.

Azure storage error 
Sincerely,
Adam
Mar 21, 2009 at 2:46 PM
Hi Adam,

I seem to remember seeing this error a long time ago. The message is misleading. I think this is caused by an incorrect secret key or one of the other parameters.

Best wishes,

Andy
Jun 1, 2009 at 5:58 AM

Hi David and all

This is a great example. I was about to embark on exploring all this.

I followed all steps - and had to make some change given that the way AppIds and SecretKeys are obtained has changed - got it deployed.

However, after logging into Live, and coming back to my site, the app still does not recognize I am logged in, although the link at the bottom does change from "sign in" to "sign out".
If feels as if the LoginCookie is not found or something along those lines.

Have you seen this?

Thanks!
Charles

The only issue I have is that it seems that

Jun 1, 2009 at 3:41 PM

Ok - that was a conf mistake on my side.

I am  now hitting the same exception Adam reported earlier. I assume it's once again a configuration issue - any hints?

Thanks!

Coordinator
Jun 2, 2009 at 3:49 AM

Perhaps try a quick test that your storage account name, key, and endpoints are defined correctly using Azure Storage Explorer (here on CodePlex) or an equivalent tool for examining cloud storage. If that doesn't give you any errors, you can be confident the values you are specifying are correct.

Jun 2, 2009 at 5:30 AM

It was due to the fact that apparently the references to storage names have to be lowercase. They are registered in mixed case but if I do not use lower case in the reference in  the config files, I get the issue.
I may have missed something somewhere, but I did not recall that peculiarity.
Now struggling to deploy a Silverlight client replacing the asp.net one. Getting a 404 that I am not understanding...

BTW, I am also using the storage tool you recently published. Saved me days of work - thanks!